Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Letterpress Technique Tutorial

Hello!

**I am thrilled to share that this card was chosen as Papercraft Stars Runner Up and given the Quasar Award**

I have a tutorial to share for Inspired by Stamping. I have had many requests inquiring about the letterpress technique that I use quite a bit in my projects.  It’s a great way to get more mileage out of your embossing folders or impression plates.

So first let’s gather some tools and supplies that you will need.
You will need:
*die-cutting machine such as a Big Shot or Cuttlebug,
*plates
*embossing folder
*brayer
*inkpad
*cardstock 
 


Now it’s time to add ink to your brayer by rolling it through your inkpad and then transfer the ink to your embossing folder by rolling the brayer on one side of your embossing folder only.  Depending on which side you choose will depend on the out come of the background giving you two possibilities.
After you have inked up your embossing folder it’s time to carefully place your cardstock on your inked embossing folder careful not to move it.
 
Run through the sandwich of your die-cutting machine.
There you have it!
Edit to note: Cleaning is simply running the embossing folder or plate under the faucet. If you were to use Stayzon then there would be some permanent staining. Some darker colors may stain your folders as well, but will not leave ink that will transfer to future projects. I have not had an issue with staining and I clean them right away and set to dry on a towel.

 Here is my completed card that I am excited to show using the background I have shared above. 

A Close Up of the Sentiment and the letterpress embossing.
An image from THATB was added to the upper left portion of the embossed card front. I drew inspiration from this image to complete the look of this card!
I found further inspiration from Papercraft Star - Birthdays.

Our Next Challenge ! 
Also joining in with the Stampin' Sisters in Christ - Layers!
I hope this was helpful who inquired about this technique. I appreciate you stopping by. Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!
~Tammy~ 

22 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

Now that's really cool! It's the 'don't move the cardstock' that always gets me ;) Going to give this another try.
I love the fun ruffly flower, and the fab sentiment :)

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Wow I love the background you have created Tammy. I did some yesterday but didn't use my brayer so maybe I will give that a try this afternoon. Fabulous card love the pink turquoise and black - quite dramatic! Hugs Susan x

Mary Pat Siehl said...

thanks for the fun tutorial!! great job!

Debbie said...

Gorgeous card and thanks for the tutorial!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwww!! I am IN LOVE with the way this turned out!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!! I loveeeeeeeeeee the flowers and the bow on your card! Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

Martha Herrera said...

Your card is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing.

Hugs,
Martha H.

Colleen Dietrich said...

Wonderful tutorial, Tammy! I need to try this.

Your card has such a neat mix of things...and of course, I love that little corner of pearls. ;)

Bernie said...

Gorgeous card and Fabulous tutorial Tammy! I need to master the careful not to move it part LOL!
Hugs

Elizabeth Allan said...

Tammy you continue to out do yourself with each and every design!

Nancy K said...

Gorgeous card and a great tutorial, Tammy! Love that technique!

KimCreate said...

I have to try this! Problem is, all my ink pads are tiny like the tear drop style. I guess I'll just have to get some more!
The card came out great!

Sherrie K. said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Love this technique!Very pretty card:) You are so talented and so creative! I just love your designs Tammy! Have a great day my friend!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Sylvia said...

Fabulous card, Tammy, I almost used the cake image from tHatB as well!Love the background you created! Thanks for joining in the fun by making a card this week for the Papercraft Star "Birthday" challenge! Great tutorial.

Annette Allen said...

what an awesome technique...I love it...Thanks for sharing...your card is so amazing...great design..

Lalo said...

I LUV the look of that embossed paper!!! going to be doing this for sure!!!

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE the tutorial and the FAB background it made! GORGEOUS card, Tammy!

Glimpses of My Heart said...

What a great card! Thanks for the tutorial, I'm going to try it very soon! Your card has such a great vintage sort of feel to it, I love it! Love the sentiment too, not just what it says, but also the fonts. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at SSiC this week.
Blessings,
Michelle

Traci M said...

I love the look of the ink embossed folders...and your card is very pretty with a creative use of color and elements!! We appreciate you joining us this week at Stampin' Sisters in Christ.

Sleepy Stamper said...

First Tammy, LOVE the tutorial, second your card is beautiful! I love the look of the letter press inking along with all those fun embellishments! Such a treat seeing your projects at the Papercraft Star!

Anitra

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial Tammy! I'm going to have to pick a brayer and try this! ;o)

Love how you created a card with the cardstock you altered! Lovely card! ;o)

Jinny Newlin said...

What a beautiful card, Tammy! I so need to try this technique! I've really been meaning to do so ;). But it looks amazing here, and I love the color palette you've used, too! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at Papercraft Star!

Betsy said...

I used this technique in making my son and daughter-in-law's wedding invitations. They turned out great!