Operation Write Home is having a great challenge:
The challenge this week is Christmas In July, we challenge you to make a Christmas card for one of our heroes to send home.
So, I made a quick and simple card since it's going to our heros to send home to a loved one the less embellishments the better so I didn't add any frills to it. I also have to admit I was short on time today and I am a SLOW card maker, so I needed to make a fast card!
Since I am blessed to have just picked my husband up safely this week from another deployment to Iraq and feel fortunate that at least this Christmas he will be home with my Son and I there have been many holidays he has not, so I know how much this program means.
I have been making cards and getting them ready to send to OWH. I hope you will join in on fun for this challenge. Our heros and their families really appreciate it. There is a very nice prize donation with this challenge.
Here are the basic guidelines that might help when creating a card for OWH!
- No glitter. Seriously. It's a hazard for our heroes, so we won't send cards with any glitter that will flake off the card. Read more.
- A2 sized cards. Most efficient for our shipping dollars, so we strongly recommend A2 (4.25" x 5.5" - half a sheet of cardstock). Read more.
- No storebought. Yep, pretty straightforward. Our heroes don't like them, so we send them our cards filled with love and creativity! Read more.
- Watch the deadlines. We have to mail cards 5-6 weeks ahead of a holiday, so check out the deadlines posted on our homepage, on the left side. Those are the very last last last dates, so aim for a couple weeks earlier if at all possible, since we start shipping 8 weeks ahead.
- Any quantity. One card to 100 to 500 — every card matters! We recommend emphasizing quality over quantity...relax, do your best, and pour lots of love into each card!
- Packing Slip. Download this handy packing slip and write in your contact info and quantity—the shipper will be able to email you to let you know your cards arrived. If you haven't heard back you can also check the Thankful Thursday post each week to see if they've arrived. Our shippers get lots of packages every day, so please give them some grace in getting back to you.
Hope you will play along!